Current:Home > MyEthermac|Businesses where George Floyd was killed sue Minneapolis, saying police are not protecting the area -Capitatum
Ethermac|Businesses where George Floyd was killed sue Minneapolis, saying police are not protecting the area
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 07:30:20
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Several stores at the location where George Floyd was killed by Minneapolis police in 2020 have Ethermacsued the city, accusing it of neglecting the area and hurting business.
The lawsuit, filed in mid-November in state court, also names Mayor Jacob Frey and other officials and accuses the city of not properly policing the area since Floyd’s death. It also accuses the city of blocking the intersection that is now known as George Floyd Square with concrete barriers for more than a year after Floyd’s death, keeping customers from entering.
The combination has turned the area into a hub for violent crime, the lawsuit says.
“The mayor, the city, the city council, and the Minneapolis Police Department collectively agreed to severely limit police response in the barricaded area surrounding plaintiffs’ businesses,” with police responding to only the most serious calls and otherwise actively avoiding the area, according to the lawsuit.
“Criminals know the area lacks police protection, and they have now made the area so dangerous that it has become known as the ‘No Go Zone,’” the lawsuit says.
The businesses include Cup Foods, the convenience store where Floyd was suspected of trying to pass a counterfeit $20 bill that led to the fatal encounter with police. The other businesses, including a tobacco shop and investment business, are run from inside Cup Foods or nearby and are all owned by the same family, according to the lawsuit.
The businesses are seeking about $1.5 million in damages.
The city has said it offered a range of support for businesses in response to both the civil unrest that followed Floyd’s killing and the COVID-19 pandemic. That included a $1.5 million forgivable loans program in 2021 specifically for businesses located in and around George Floyd Square.
A spokesman for the city said officials are aware of the lawsuit and have no comment on it.
Frey’s office said in a statement Wednesday that it did “everything possible to open the street safely amid very tenuous circumstances.”
“When we finally did open the street, the city did so in a planned way where no one was hurt and the area remained safe for residents,” Frey spokeswoman Ally Peters said in the statement.
Floyd, who was Black, died on May 25, 2020, after former officer Derek Chauvin, who is white, pressed a knee on his neck for 9½ minutes on the street outside Cup Foods. Bystander video captured Floyd’s fading cries of “I can’t breathe.” His death touched off protests worldwide, some of which turned violent, and forced a national reckoning with police brutality and racism.
Three other former officers received lesser state and federal sentences for their roles in Floyd’s death.
One of those former officers, Tou Thao, has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to reverse his federal civil rights conviction. In a petition posted on the high court’s docket this week, Thao’s attorneys argued that prosecutors failed to prove that Thao’s actions or inactions were willful, as required by law.
Thao, who held back the crowd outside Cup Foods, testified previously that he did nothing wrong and served only as a “human traffic cone.” The request is a long shot; the high court last week rejected Chauvin’s request to hear his appeal.
Chauvin is serving a 21-year federal sentence for violating Floyd’s civil rights and a 22½-year state sentence for second-degree murder. Those sentences are being served at the same time. Chauvin is recovering from serious injuries after he was stabbed last week by another inmate at a federal prison in Arizona.
veryGood! (149)
Related
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- The UK says it has paid Rwanda $300 million for a blocked asylum deal. No flights have taken off
- Jayden Daniels, the dazzling quarterback for LSU, is the AP college football player of the year
- Nvidia CEO suggests Malaysia could be AI ‘manufacturing’ hub as Southeast Asia expands data centers
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Paris Hilton’s Ex-Fiancé Chris Zylka Shares the Reason They Broke Up
- Kremlin foe Navalny’s lawyers to remain in detention at least through mid-March, Russian court rules
- 20+ Gifts For Dad That Will Never Make Him Say I Don't Need Anything Ever Again
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Man arrested after Target gift cards tampered with in California, shoppers warned
Ranking
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Miami-Dade police officer charged with 3 felonies, third arrest from force in 6 weeks
- Prince Constantin of Liechtenstein Dies Unexpectedly at 51
- Social Security clawbacks hit a million more people than agency chief told Congress
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Alex Ovechkin records 1,500th career point, but Stars down Capitals in shootout
- The Excerpt podcast: Republicans turn on each other in fourth debate
- AP Week in Pictures: Latin America and Caribbean
Recommendation
Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
Paris Hilton’s Ex-Fiancé Chris Zylka Shares the Reason They Broke Up
Six Palestinians are killed in the Israeli military’s latest West Bank raid, health officials say
Bronny James expected to make USC debut Sunday against Long Beach State
Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
Construction of a cable to connect the power grids of Greece and Cyprus is set to start next year
South Carolina’s top cop Keel wants another 6 years, but he has to retire for 30 days first
'The Archies' movie: Cast, trailer, how to watch new take on iconic comic books